State-Designated Investment Officials
Connect with economic developers from across the country
A Wealth of Local Opportunities
50 States and the District of Columbia
Each U.S. state has its own constitution and a three-branch system of government that mirrors that of the Federal government. Local government generally include two tiers: counties (sometimes called boroughs or parishes), and municipalities, or cities/towns. In some states, counties are divided into townships.
Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands, Guam, American Samoa, and The Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands are islands under the jurisdiction of the United States that are not affiliated with any state and have their own governments.
The original indigenous tribes of the United States, including American Indians, Alaska Natives, and Native Hawaiians are constitutionally recognized as sovereign governments at the same level as state or territorial governments. There are 562 federally recognized Indian nations (or tribes) in the United States. Approximately 40 percent of these tribes are located in Alaska, while the remaining 60 percent are located in 33 states in what is known as Indian Country.